Last updated on 21 September 2016.
So you want to be an SEO professional? Congratulation. You have made a very good decision. SEO is a big industry; in fact, by 2020 it will be a 80 billion dollar industry. Your decision to build a career in digital marketing as an SEO professional is a timely decision. Job opportunities are rapidly growing at home and abroad.
Do you want to check that yourself ?
Alright, check at some of the top job portals , online marketing job site, top freelance sites, internet marketing blogs and social media groups. The number of posts submitted each day will give you some idea. You should also look at the salary, requirements, job responsibilities to get some good understanding.
It is not easy to become a quality SEO professionals. You really need to be very good in various aspects of SEO- on-page optimization, keyword research , link building, content creation, analytics etc. You will have to deliver the result. But it is also not impossible to become a top level professional. Read this 27 Tips For Mastering Anything and watch “The first 20 hours — how to learn anything” video on YouTube.
If you start as an SEO, it is not that you will have to work as an SEO only. Actually a good number of opportunities you will have to take your career further.
What are the main types of Jobs in Digital Marketing?
Preparation is the key here
Let me help you to build a strong foundation on one of the key elements of SEO, the link building.
Learning on-page SEO is not that hard. The same is true for keyword research. But, link building is relatively harder. If you can master this part of the SEO, you can be proud of yourself. You will make good money. We here at XPONENT are always looking for professionals with strong SEO skills. Once you learn the techniques mentioned here, contact us if you are interested in joining as an intern.
I am sure, some other internet businesses from Bangladesh are also looking for quality SEO professionals. And, finding a job either as freelance professional or full-time remote employee is also very much possible.
Links are one of the most important elements of SEO. Building a right foundation on link building is essential if you want to be an SEO expert. I have compiled some of the best resources on link building from the web and included in this guide.
You will find multiple articles on the same topic and some information repeated in those articles. I would recommend you keep reading those articles. You will find something new in each article. All will help you build a strong foundation in SEO and link building.
Link Building Basics
Read this Noob friendly link building guide. You will learn about some basic concepts of link building as well as advanced link building ideas.
I also recommend you read about Google Quality Guidelines on link building. This will help you to evaluate any link building campaign. You will know whether certain link building is a violation of Google quality guidelines or not.
Here is a quick reference on the types of links that violate Google quality guidelines.
Ranking Factor, Page Rank, and Link Juice
You should understand clearly why links are important for SEO. If you read this research, you will find that Google uses more than 200 factors for ranking web pages, and among them “Links” are one of the top 3 ranking factors.
After that, you should learn about Google PR. Do not get confused with Google PR and Toolbar PR. Earlier Google used to update Toolbar PR. They have stopped doing this now. But PR is internally always calculated and updated. With link building, another concept “Link Juice” is attached. Here is a good article about Page Rank, and link juice.
You must build a clear and solid understanding about Page Rank and how link juice is passed to another website.
Some more articles:
You also need to understand the strength of a link. It is hard to determine that manually.You will need to take help from backlinks tools like Moz Explorer, Ahrefs, and Majestic. There are some other tools as well. But these three tools are widely used. The following resources will help:
Quality of Links
You might get a feeling that the more links you get the better will be your ranking. Wrong! It does not work like this. The more quality a link has, the more impact it will have. You will need the ability to determine the quality of links. Read the following articles:
Not all links are helpful. If you read about Google Penguin update, you will get an idea about Google recent policy about backlinks. Read the following articles and search on the web to find out more about penguin update.
Natural Link Profile
After reading about Google penguin update, you should know that you now need a natural or a good link profile to rank on Google. Read the following articles to get a solid understanding about “Good Link Profile”.
- What is a “Good Natural Link Profile”
- Building Good Link Profile
- Natural Link Building 101
- What Is “Natural Link Building”
Anchor text is a very important element of link building.
- Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Anchor Text
- Anchor Text: The Definitive Guide
- Anchor Text Distribution: Avoiding Over Optimization
- How to Build Proper Anchor Text Ratios
- Anchor Text
- Anchor Text by Moz
- 5 SEO Mistakes That Even Experts Miss by QuickSprout
- Post-Penguin Anchor Text Case Study at Moz by Court Tuttle
- Text Links and PageRank by Matt Cutts
- The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine– Original Paper written by Larry Page and Sergey Brin.
Link Building Strategy
A link is a link. You can get links using various strategies. Whether a link will help or hurt your ranking will depend on various factors.
I recommend you read this article on how to determine whether a link is good or bad.
Strategies are categorized as white-hat, gray-hat and black-hat. I would recommend you to develop your skills on white-hat link building. Google changes all the time. Except the white-hat strategies, every other link building methods become useless. Your learning and skills in gray or black-hat methods also get useless.
You will again have to learn many new things. So it is better, you learn something that will always be useful. Initially, it will be tough. You will need to learn many things. Many things will not be initially clear to you. But like any other things, slowly you will master the white-hat link building too.
The key is perseverance.
White-hat link building
The core of white-hat link building is you earn link naturally. You do not build link. While the term could be confusing to us. By earning here it means you produce excellent content whether it is text,video, audio or your product; other website owners link to your content as he finds your content will help his visitors.
White-hat link building is more of content focus. After having an excellent content your next job is to let others know about that content. To do that, you have many options. We can discuss them later. For now just keep it in mind that as a white-hat link builder, you will need to know the types of content that generally are good for earning links, working with writers to produce that kind of content and then promote the content using various promotional methods.
Below are some of the white-hat link building strategy:
Link Building With Egobait Content
- Egobait Guide
- Egobait: How to Get Links & Exposure in a Variety of Verticals
- How to Build Relationships With Influencers Through Content
Link Building With Content Extension
Link Building With SkyCrapper Technique
Link Building With Infographic
- How to Get Links with Infographics
- How to Build Links with Infographics
- Case Study: Using Infographics for Link Building
- Infographic Layout: How to Portray History Using Timelines
- What Is Blogger Outreach & How Do I Do It
- Blogger Outreach: How to Get Influencers to Promote Your Content for Free
- 5 Tips for Developing Better Blogger Outreach
- How of Blogger Outreach for Your Clients
- Outreach Letters for Link Building
- How to Approach Blogger Outreach in a New Market
- Blogger Outreach: Here’s How To Do It Right
- How to get high-quality backlink
- 7 Essential Quality Metrics For Evaluating Publishers For Guest Blogging
- An In-Depth Look at Guest Blogging in 2016 (Case Studies, Data & Tips)
- The Definitive Guide to Guest Blogging
- Bad Links: How To Identify Toxic Backlinks & Remove Google Penalties
- Google’s How Search Works
- Moz’s Beginner’s Guide to SEO
- Point Blanks SEO’s What the Heck is SEO and Why Should I Care?
- Case Study: How We Created Controversial Content That Earned Hundreds of Links
- Five Traits of the Ideal Link Builder
- 7 Traits of a World-Class Link Builder
- How to Train a Link builder From Scratch
- How To Boost Your SEO
Link Building Blogs
Let me hear from you
Has this article helped you in some way? Do you want me to keep improving this article? For both of the questions, if your answer is affirmative, I want to hear from you. Also, if you have any other suggestions or comments, let me know using the comment form below.